- Deal With The Issue Quickly – don’t let it linger indefinitely
- Deal With Only One Issue At A Time – don’t “kitchen sink” your partner by bringing up everything you’ve been upset about
- Avoid “Put Downs” and Generalizations – avoid words like “you always, you never, you are always right or wrong, good or bad,” etc.
- Listen Without Interrupting – take turns listening and ask questions to clarify what’s being communicated.
- Don’t Fight In Front Of Your Kids – arguing in front of your children is child abuse. They don’t want to hear it anyway.
- Don’t Bring Up Past Mistakes, Hurts, or Issues From The Past – don’t dig up the past. Stay in the present with the topic at hand.
- Avoid Name Calling and Personal Insults – name calling and personal insults might help you to win the argument but may also cause you to lose your marriage.
- Make It A “Win-Win” Outcome For Both of You – you can only win if you both win.
Now that I have these little tips I will try to implement them! Off for now I have an exam tomorrow!